martes, 17 de mayo de 2011

Modal verbs

http://www.sherton.com.ar/modales/modales3.htm
http://www.englishpage.com/modals/modalintro.html
This webpage is about modal verbs, here you can learn about them and do excercises, is very useful because you can see every diferent verb with his conjugation. (Can, could. May, might. Will,would. Shall, should. Must, ought to.)

Definition of modal verbs:
Modal verbs are special verbs which behave very differently from normal verbs. Here are some important differences:
Rules in modal verbs
1 -do not take "-s" in the third person.
He can speak Chinese.

2-use "not" to make modal verbs negative
He should not be late

3-cannot be used in the past tenses or the future tenses
He should not be late. Not correct

Common Modal Verbs :
Can Could May Might Must
Ought to Shall Should Will Would




Can:




Affirmative: can
Negative: can't / cannot
Interrogative Can ...?
I can drivePuedo/sé conducir
I cannot readNo puedo/sé leer
Can you speak Spanish?¿Podés/sabés hablar español?




Could





Affirmative: could
Neg: couldn't /could not
Interrogative: Could ...?
I could finish tomorrowPodría terminar mañana
I couldn't finish tomorrowNo podría terminar mañana
Could I finish tomorrow?¿Podría terminar mañana?




May





Affirmative: may
Negative: may not
Interrogative: May ...?
I may finish tomorrowPuede que termine mañana (quizá)
I may not work tomorrowPuede que no trabaje mañana
May I use your telephone?¿Podría usar su teléfono
?




Might





Affirmative: might
Negative: might not
Interrogative: Might...?
I might finish tomorrowPodría terminar mañana (quizá)
I might be resting tomorrowPodría estar descansando mañana
Might I use your telephone?¿Podría usar su teléfono?







Will





Affirmative: will
Negative: will not/ won't
Interrogative Will ...?
I will speak EnglishHablaré inglés
I will not say that No diré eso
Will you come to the party?¿Vendrás a la fiesta?







Would





Affirmative: would
Neg: would not/ wouldn't
Interrogative Would ...?
I would speak EnglishHablaría inglés
I wouldn't say that No diría eso
Would you come to the party?¿Vendrías a la fiesta?






Shall





Affirmative: shall
Negative: shall not
Interrogative Shall ...?
I shall speak EnglishHablaré Inglés
I shall not say that No diré eso
Shall I drive you home?¿Te llevo a tu casa?




Should





Affirmative: should
Neg: should not/ shouldn't
Interrogative Should ...?
I should study moreDebería estudiar más
I shouldn't waste my timeNo debería desperdiciar mi tiempo
Should you go there now?¿Deberías ir ahí ahora?







Must





Affirmative: must
Neg: must not/ mustn't
Interrogative Must...?
A student must studyUn estudiante debe estudiar
I must not waste my timeNo debo desperdiciar mi tiempo
Must you go there now?¿Debes ir ahí ahora?







Ought to





Affirmative: ought to
Negative: ought not to
Inte: Ought + S + to ...?
I ought to study moreDebería estudiar más
He ought not to drink Él no debería beber
Ought I to be here early?¿Debería estar aquí temprano?


You can find this on the webpages







Antonio Morcillo y Laura Coll 2º C









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario